Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Troy McLawhorn on New Album and Rocking with Gibsons

In late July, goth-laced rock band Evanescence and their closest fans crowded into a scorching Brooklyn warehouse to film the video for “What You Want,” the debut single off their new, self-titled album, out this week on Wind-Up Records. If you ask guitarist Troy McLawhorn, the video was indicative of the larger picture: Evanescence were returning to their gritty roots and making straight-ahead rock music collectively.

“The video was shot in little club setting with a lot of people in there, and it was hot, but it reminds you of the days when you started out playing music and you’re playing these small clubs and that whole vibe,” he said. “Everybody is trading energy, and it’s a very cool thing. On the album, we wanted to keep the rawness of being onstage together, and I think it came across that way.”
A few days before the album’s release, McLawhorn checked in with Gibson.com to talk about his recent reunion with Evanescence and why Gibsons are “all-around good guitars for everything.”

You rejoined Evanescence this year after playing a while with Seether. What was the catalyst for your move to Evanescence?

Well, when I joined Evanescence for the first time, I was hired to finish a tour for them in 2007. I joined in with Will Hunt, who I played with in Dark New Day. So, Amy [Lee] called us to see if we could finish out the tour that year. When Evanescence took a hiatus, she wanted to take a break from touring, so I moved on and did some other things in the meantime. When we talked this year, she was ready to do another album, and I was excited to come back. When I came in, they had been writing a little beforehand, so some of the ideas were created in some writing sessions before we got together in the rehearsal space, but I got to be included in a lot of the overall creative process.

Listening to tracks on the new album, such as “Made of Stone” and “Never Go Back,” it seems this record went for a heavy, straight-ahead rock vibe. Would you agree?

Yeah, definitely. This record was made differently than rest of Evanescence’s records in that it was a band record. We put ourselves into a rehearsal room and hashed out these ideas we had and made them into songs, and I think the thing we wanted to keep was the rawness of being in a room together. I think it came across that way and in what the producer, Nick Raskulinecz, did for us. Amy says she’s never done an album like this; before, it was usually just her and one writing partner. But, this is how I’ve always done albums with bands, as a collaborative effort.

What are you most excited about, with this release?

It’s been quite a while since I’ve been on tour, so I’m excited to go on tour and play these songs. I think this album is a great live album. There’s a lot of up-tempo stuff on it, and like you said, it’s a little heavier and a little rawer, so it’s going to be a lot of fun to play live.

What Gibsons are currently in your rig?

I’ve been a Gibson fan for a long time, and I have a black Les Paul Custom, and it’s an ’85. I also have a white Les Paul custom that’s a ’90 or ’91, and a Flying-V 7-string I just got this year.

Did you use any Gibsons when recording the new album?

Actually, one of my main guitars for this album was a 1959 re-issue white Flying-V. I used that a lot, and Terry [Balsamo, Evanescence’s other guitarist] mostly used a 7-string Gibson Explorer. That
combination sounded really good. We did a lot of rhythm tracks with those two guitars.

Do you find yourself using Gibsons especially for a particular function, such as soloing or rhythms?

Gibson is good for everything! I love Gibson guitars. I don’t really have a deal with Gibson; I’ve just always liked them and spent my money on them, because they’re awesome guitars. There are a few that I even leave at home, because they’re really great to write on. But Gibsons are great to play rhythm on and great to play country, bluegrass, rock, pop – whatever genre. Gibsons are all-around good guitars for everything.

Do you have any playing tips for our readers?
I’m self-taught, and the only tip I can think to give is to try to branch out as much as you can and learn from other guitar players. Practice – that’s the key. When I was starting out, I would practice seven hours a day. I would get home from school, lock myself in my bedroom and play guitar. I just loved it so much, and it was something in my heart to do, so I got lost in it every day.

Source: gibson.com

No comments:

Post a Comment