Wednesday, June 22, 2011

“WE’RE BREAKING ALL THE RULES!”

EXCLUSIVE! Evanescence’s Amy Lee says new album will be worth the wait
Almost five years since their release of 2006’s The Open Door, multi-platinum selling goth-rockers Evanescence are back and putting the final touches to their self-titled third record. The album is being recorded in Nashville, Tennessee with producer Nick Raskulinecz (Foo Fighters, Stone Sour) and is set for release in the autumn.
Vocalist Amy Lee says “this is the first real band record” for the quintet—completed by guitarists Terry Balsamo and Troy McLawhorn, bassist Tim McCord, and drummer Will Hunt—and promises some surprises on the forthcoming release.
Taking a break from recording vocals, Amy gave Kerrang! an exclusive insight into the making of the album and what she’s been up to for the past few years.

How does it feel to be back in action again?
“It feels great. I took a break because I got married and decided I wanted to live like a normal person for a change. I started writing again and then I realized how much I really loved and missed Evanescence. It soon became apparent that I needed to do another record with the band and everybody really close to the occaision. We’ve written some great, innovative and heavy songs that the fans are gonna love.”

How did the material for this album come together?
“It was a completely different way of doing things for us but it was exactly what we needed. As we started to hear the body of work back in the studio, it’s become really clear to me that this is a band record. I feel more connected and in sync with my band than I ever have before. Everyone has been involved with the process from the ground up and that’s a first for us. This time we all got in a room together to make something, which was scary and different but it’s been about letting go of control and being more collaborative. It’s paid of in a way I never would have expected. The line-up we have now is really strong and I’m proud to have these guys by me.”

How does this new Evanescence sound?
“Looser. This album is not so glossy or tight. It’s more instinctive. It’s big on groove and there’s some real musicianship that we’re really proud of. Everyone knows our sound but that’s just a foundation and we’ve danced on top of that! It’s still very heavy and dark but we’re having fun with it. Musically I don’t feel trapped. I’m a lot more secure than I used to be. I used to have a lot of silly, self-imposed rules but we’re breaking them all on this album. By loosening up, it feels like it’s going to a higher place.”

What were your lyrical inspirations this time?
“It’s about life. I’m in a healthier place than I was before, when I was writing some heavy-hearted songs. But that doesn’t mean the music sounds happy. I can pull from all sorts of sources and look at different things with a new perspective. The music is about me [and] my relationships. The music and the lyrics have gotten more aggressive than they ever were before too; that’s one of the things making this album great.”

Does the five year gap between releases worry you at all?
 ”I dont’ know if it’s good or bad. If you’d ask the suits they’d say it’s a terrible thing. But to be honest, I dont believe in doing anything unless it’s better than what I’ve done before. That’s part of the reason it’s taken so long. I can’t sleep thinking about how much I love it. Our fans are still there for us and I feel more excited than scared.”
EVANESCENCE’S SELF-TITLED ALBUM WILL BE RELEASED ON OCTOBER 3.

Source: evanescenceobsession.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment